The single most common question TechCredo gets is easily “what’s the name of that awesome clock widget?” The clock people ask about is featured in several of the live wallpaper demo videos and in some of the Android screen shots on TechCredo. I try to leave a reply whenever the question is asked, but now so many people have inquired about the clock widget that a post is in order.
The clock in question is called Beautiful Widgets, and it’s released by French developer LevelUp Studio that also has made the excellent Twitter app Plume (formerly Touiteur).
Beautiful Widgets is very popular, it’s my favorite Android widget and I definitely recommend it. The best thing about Beautiful Widgets is its customizability, and there’s a huge selection of user-generated themes to choose from. You can basically make the clock look any way you want to. Beautiful Widgets has a slick weather forecast feature as well, so there’s no need for a separate weather app or widget. A bunch of minor system toggle widgets are included as well, but I have no interest in those.
The specific clock theme that has generated so many questions is called Epic-Justice. To get the same look as in the live wallpaper videos, follow these steps:
- Purchase Beautiful Widgets in the Android Market.
- Long-press on your homescreen, tap Widgets and choose to add Beautiful Home Weather.
- Tap on the icon on the clock that represents the current weather, press the hardware Menu button, and then tap Configure.
- Scroll down and tap Clock Skins > Download Skins, and then download the Epic-Justice theme.
- Remove the clock’s background by turning on the Hide Background option from Beautiful Widget’s Home Settings screen.
- That’s the look featured in the videos.
Here are a few other Beautiful Widgets clock styles I personally enjoy and recommend.